|Code||Fault Location||Probable Cause|
|P0791|| Intermediate shaft speed sensor -circuit malfunction |
(Buy Part On Amazon)
|Wiring, poor connection, intermediate shaft speed sensor, ECM/PCM!TCM|
We recommend Torque Pro
Table of Contents
- What Does Code P0791 Mean?
- What are the common causes of code P0791 ?
- What are the symptoms of code P0791 ?
- Codes Related to P0791
- Get Help with P0791
What Does Code P0791 Mean?
DTC P0791 sets when the PCM/TCM has received an input signal from the transmission intermediate shaft speed sensor circuit that is either irrational, erratic, or in some way incorrect. Without a usable output speed signal the transmission cannot provide a proper shift strategy
NOTE: Whenever diagnosing a 700 series DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) with a transmission, transfer case or other driveline components, check for a DTC under chassis and body systems, not just under “P” or powertrain/engine or emission control type codes. Module communications DTCs are “U” codes. These are most often found when looking for DTCs under chassis or body systems. Chassis related codes are labeled “C” and body system related codes are labeled “B” codes and these can cause drivetrain issues if they affect a sensor that is also used by the heating and air conditioning system.
What are the common causes of code P0791 ?
- Defective intermediate shaft speed sensor
- Defective output speed sensor, or input speed sensor
- Shorted, open, corroded, or damaged wiring circuits or connectors
- Defective shift solenoid
- Defective engine drivability sensors, like the ECT (Engine Coolant temperature),
- Contaminated transmission fluid that restricts flow, defective valve body
- Defective PCM
What are the symptoms of code P0791 ?
- MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp [Check Engine & Service Engine Soon])lights on with stored historical P0791
- Harsh shift, failure to shift
- Decrease in fuel economy
- Speedometer may fluctuate or not work
- Engine may stall when coming to a stop, engine misfire, sag, stall, or hesitation,
- There may be no symptoms
Codes Related to P0791
Help Us Help You
Please comment below describing your issue as well as the specifics of your vehicle (make, model, year, miles, and engine). To get a detailed, expedited response from a mechanic, please make a $9.99 donation via the payment button below.