|Trouble Code||Fault Location||Probable Cause|
|P0740||Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid - circuit malfunction||Wiring, TCC solenoid, ECM/PCM/TCM|
We recommend Torque Pro
What Does Code P0740 Mean?
DTC P0745: When the transmission solenoid malfunctions, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is generally foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. The line pressure solenoid valve regulates the oil pump discharge pressure to suit the driving condition in response to a signal sent from the TCM (Transmission Control Module) or PCM (Powertrain Control Module).
NOTE: Whenever diagnosing a 700 series DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) with a transmission, transfer case or other driveline components, check for a DTC under chassis and body systems, not just under “P” or powertrain/engine or emission control type codes. Module communications DTCs are “U” codes. These are most often found when looking for DTCs under chassis or body systems. Chassis related codes are labeled “C” and body system related codes are labeled “B” codes and these can cause drivetrain issues if they affect a sensor that is also used by the heating and air conditioning system.
DTC P0745 sets when the PCM or TCM has detected an abnormality in the electronic pressure control solenoid circuit. Computer controlled automatic transmissions use variable amounts of hydraulic pressure to provide shifting and TCC (torque converter clutch) operation.
What are the common causes of code P0740 ?
- Low, dirty or contaminated transmission fluid If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis.
- Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
- Defective pressure control solenoid
- Line pressure solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- Line pressure solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
- Fluid blockages inside the transmission fluid passages
- Mechanical internal transmission failures
- Defective PCM or TCM but this is rare
What are the symptoms of code P0740 ?
- MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp [Check Engine & Service Engine Soon])lights on with stored historical P0745
- TCC does engage/disengage
- Disabled shifting function with engine stall when coming to a stop
- Harsh shifting, transmission slippage, transmission overheating
- Fuel efficiency concern
Codes Related to P0740
- Transmission slippage codes often accompany this code like DTC P0894
BAT Team Discussions for P0740
- 2001 300M: error code p0740
Hi, I have a 2001 Chrysler 300M with 85000 miles on it. So far, loved this car and never had a problem. Yesterday, my service engine soon light came on. I pulled into WalMart and got myself an OBDII reader, which told me P0740, which is a transmission/clutch circuit error. I did some Googling on ...
- loss of od & tc lockup in 4t60e
P0740 is the code for TCC not functioning. The fact that you are losing 4th when it warms up is a concern. The factors that can effect this would be temp over ride. What does the computer think the engine temp is when the vehicle acts up? Is it actually overheating? Check the basics... Grounds espec...
- 4L60E transmission with code P1870
For information on the code a All data sub would be a big help. Upper right hand corner of this web page. http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html HERE IS A LITTLE INFO But it takes a good tech with the proper equipment to test for this code. Good Luck Crunch Info - Component Slipping/DT...
- 4l60e question
Here is a little info on testing and a quote from transman. Info - Component Slipping/DTC P1870 - Diagnosis #99-07-30-005 - (03/18/1999)Table 1: TCC System Symptom Table Table 2: Internal Transmission Symptom Table Component Slipping/DTC P1870 - Diagnosis1996 Buick Roadmaster 1996 Cadillac Fleetwoo...
- Civic Torque Converter Code
Hi, I have an 01 Civic EX Coupe, 1. 7 liter, Automatic. I've been getting a check engine light that comes and goes. When it's on it reads a P0740. I've found a Honda bulletin which says the following: DTC P0740 Set? Check for Contaminated Solenoids If you’re servicing a ’02 Civic with A/T, ...