| Coolant Pump "B" Control Circuit Range/Performance
(Buy Part On Amazon)
We recommend Torque Pro
Table of Contents
- What Does Code P261B Mean?
- Where is the P261B sensor located?
- What are the common causes of code P261B?
- Get Help with P261B
What Does Code P261B Mean?
This generic powertrain/engine diagnostic trouble code typically applies to all OBDII-equipped engines with electric coolant pumps but shows up more often in certain hybrid vehicles by Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. The Coolant Pump B (CP-B) is operated by an electrical signal from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The PCM receives inputs to determine the operation of the CP-B. These inputs are voltage signals typically received from coolant and intake air temp, engine rpm, and air conditioning system pressure sensors. Once the PCM has received these inputs it changes the signal to the CP-B.
P261B is typically set because of electrical (CP-B circuit) issues but can be caused by mechanical issues, such as a mechanically stuck impeller on the electrically driven coolant pump. Both electrical and mechanical issues cannot be overlooked in the troubleshooting stage, especially when dealing with an intermittent problem.
Where is the P261B sensor located?
The Coolant Pump B (CP-B) can usually be found mounted to the front of the engine, on top of the engine, inside the wheel wells, or against the bulkhead.
Typically, the causes for this code to set are:
- Open or short in the circuit to the Coolant Pump – likely
- Failed Coolant Pump – inoperative (mechanically or electrically) – likely
- Failed PCM – unlikely
What are the common causes of code P261B?
These are the more common issues with P261B fault code:
- Ford C-Max / Escape / Fusion / Police Responder Hybrids – no specific issues at this time / basic fault code diagnosis
- Honda Civic/ Accord / Insight Hybrids – no specific issues at this time / basic fault code diagnosis
- Nissan Altima / Rogue – no specific issues at this time / basic fault code diagnosis
- Toyota Avalon / Camry / Highlander / Prius / RAV4 / – no specific issues at this time / basic fault code diagnosis
Help Us Help You
Please comment below describing your issue as well as the specifics of your vehicle (make, model, year, miles, and engine). To get a detailed, expedited response from a mechanic, please make a $9.99 donation via the payment button below.