|Code||Fault Location||Probable Cause|
|P1396|| P1396 – Glow Plug Monitor Fault Bank 2 (Ford) |
(Buy Part On Amazon)
We recommend Torque Pro
Manufacturer Specific Definitions for P1396
|Bmw||Camshaft position (CMP) actuator, inlet camshaft - ECM output stage|
|Buick||Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit|
|Cadillac||Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit|
|Chevrolet||Rough road sensor -signal malfunction|
|Citroen||Glow Plug Monitor Fault (Bank #2)|
|Daewoo||WSSD rough road system – malfunction|
|Ford||Glow Plug Monitor Fault Bank 2|
|Gm||Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit|
|Mini||Crankshaft Position Sensor Segment Timing Plausibility|
|Peugeot||Glow Plug Monitor Fault (Bank #2)|
|Pontiac||Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit|
|Saab||Cylinder 6, misfire detected – fuel level low|
|Saturn||Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit|
|Suzuki||WSSD Rough Road System Fault|
|Volkswagen||Engine Speed Sensor Missing Tooth|
Table of Contents
- What Does Code P1396 Mean?
- Where is the P1396 sensor located?
- What are the common causes of code P1396?
- How expensive is it to fix code P1396?
- What are the symptoms of code P1396?
- What are common solutions to code P1396?
- How serious is code P1396?
- How safe is it to still drive the car with code P1396?
- How difficult is it to repair code P1396?
- What are the common mistakes when repairing code P1396?
- Codes Related to P1396
- Get Help with P1396
What Does Code P1396 Mean?
There’s a fault in a glow plug found on bank 2 of a Ford diesel engine. The glow plug is a part of the electrical system and is used to heat the diesel fuel to start the engine. P1396 indicates that the bank is reading at less than the specified 39 amps.
Where is the P1396 sensor located?
On a 7.3-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, the glow plugs are found beneath the valve covers and beside each fuel injector. There’s a plug located in every cylinder. This code occurs most commonly on the 7.3-liter Power Stroke engine.
What are the common causes of code P1396?
- Loose fitting pins leading to high resistance
- Shorted circuit
- Low-resistance glow plug in the opposite bank
How expensive is it to fix code P1396?
If you need to repair your wire harness or connector, the cost is minimal. Glow plug replacement averages $175 to $275 with labor costs between $75 and $100 while parts add $100 to $175.
What are the symptoms of code P1396?
- Excessive cranking
- Check Engine Light is on
- Rough idle upon startup but smooths out once the engine is warm
- Hard time starting
- Engine doesn’t start at all
What are common solutions to code P1396?
You can replace the faulty glow plug, repair or replace the glow plug wire harness, replace the glow plug relay or replace the PCM; depending on what is causing your trouble.
How serious is code P1396?
When one glow plug fails, the vehicle generally runs normally once operating temperatures are met. Diesel engines featuring a block heater will be easier to start with this code. You might notice some exhaust smoke as it warms up.
How safe is it to still drive the car with code P1396?
Once the engine is warmed, there might not be any symptoms that would stop you from driving. If you operate the vehicle while it’s misfiring, you will want to stop driving. This could cause an emissions component failure and carbon build-up in a cylinder which will lead to hot-spotting and detonation knocking.
How difficult is it to repair code P1396?
Glow plugs are easy to access once you remove the valve cover. Just remember to disconnect the batteries first. Then, you can unscrew the glow plugs just like a spark plug.
What are the common mistakes when repairing code P1396?
- Don’t drop tools into the rocker arm journals as they are difficult to get out.
- Do not attempt to power a glow plug when it’s not installed. It can lead to fire, burns.
Codes Related to P1396
- P0670: Glow Plug Control Module Circuit Fault
- P0671: Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit
- P0673: Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit
- P1395 – Glow Plug Monitor Fault Bank 1
- P1399 – Glow Plug Circuit High Side, High Input (Ford)
Help Us Help You
Please comment below describing your issue as well as the specifics of your vehicle (make, model, year, miles, and engine), and one of our mechanics will respond as soon as possible. We appreciate a $9.99 donation via the payment button below.