NOTE: Do not switch ignition OFF at any time before or during the testing procedure. This will erase the fault memory. The diagnosis procedure will be cancelled if the engine speed is raised above 2000 rpm after the code extraction procedure has begun, or if the ignition is turned OFF.
- To test for input faults, the vehicle must be driven for a minimum of 5 minutes. During the test drive, the engine must briefly: Rise above 3000 rpm, Intake manifold pressure must rise above 1.0 bar (0 in. vacuum). This is to ensure that all necessary information is stored in the fault memory.
- If the vehicle has a no-start condition, crank the engine with the starter for at least 5 seconds.
- With the engine idling or with the ignition ON after cranking with the starter (for a no-start case), insert a spare fuse into the socket on top of the fuel pump relay, for at least 4 seconds.
- Remove the fuse and read the fault code from the indicator light in the instrument cluster.
- Make a note of the fault code.Each fault code consists of 4 blink pulse groups of up to 4 blink pulses
each. Between each group of blink pulses there is a pause of about 2.5 seconds.
The various fault codes are read by counting the number of pulses in each
group (1 to 4), and then combining the 4 groups.Once the diagnostic procedure is activated, the display will proceed as
- Starting signal (light on 2.5 sec)
- Pause (light off 2.5 sec)
- Transmission of the 4 impulse groups
- After the fourth impulse group, a 2.5 sec. pause (light off)
- Repeat the fault code.
- Reinsert the fuse into the fuel pump relay for at least 4 seconds to view the next fault code. Stored fault codes will be displayed one at a time, and in sequence.
- Once all faults have been identified, correct as necessary. After the fault has been corrected, repeat the test drive and diagnosis procedure to make sure no other faults are present.
|1111||Engine Control Unit (ECU) Defective memory circuits, incorrect Checksum for EPROM|
|1231||Vehicle Speed Sensor (ABH 4.2 litre Engine) Open or short circuit|
|2111||RPM sensor Open or short circuit|
|2112||Timing reference sensor Flywheel pin damaged/missing|
|2113||Hall sender in distributor Distributor alignment|
|2114||Hall sender not at reference mark.|
|2121||Idle switch Switch open circuit|
|2123||Full Throttle switch inside throttle potentiometer PT Engine Only Switch short ckt, contact 53 constantly grounded Switch defective|
|2141||First Knock regulation Excessive knock, timing is being retarded by maximum amount|
|2142||Knock sensor #1 Open or short circuit|
|2144||Knock Sensor #2, (Cylinders 3, 4, 5) Open or short circuit|
|2212||Throttle Potentiometer Defective Throttle Potentiometer assembly|
|2214||Max RPM Limit Exceeded (6793 RPM), ABH Engine only|
|2231||Idle Speed Valve (ISV) Control, Idle speed adaptation limit exceeded|
|2232||Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor G70 Open or short circuit|
|2234||Supply Voltage Problem, ECU supply voltage too low or too high.|
|2312||Coolant sensor Open or short circuit|
|2314||Engine/Transmission Electrical connection Open or short circuit in wiring between Engine and Transmission|
|2322||Inlet air temp Open or short circuit Defective sensor or wiring|
|2324||ECU has Defective Grounds or is Defective (Shown for ABH Engine Only)|
|2341||Oxygen Sensor Control Limit exceeded|
|2342||Oxygen Sensor Signal (voltage) is not changing up and down, (ABH Engine Only) Signal shorted to ground or to +12V|
|2411||EGR Valve Temperature, G98, (ABH Engine Only, California Vehicles Only)|
|2413||Mixture Adaptation problem, outside of normal range (ABH Engine Only) Too Lean or Too Rich|
|3242||Oxygen Sensor Circuit (Shown for PT Engine Only)|
|3424||Fault Lamp Trigger Defective, (Shown for PT Engine) short to + or to ground|
|4312||EGR Valve N18 (Shown for ABH Engine Only, California Vehicles Only) Signal shorted to ground or to +12V|
|4334||O2 Sensor Heating Element circuit problem (Shown for ABH Engine Only)|
|4343||Carbon Canister, Open or short circuit.|
|4411||Fuel Injectors for Cylinder 1 and Cylinder 5, Open or short circuit|
|4412||Fuel Injectors for Cylinder 2 and Cylinder 7, Open or short circuit|
|4413||Fuel Injectors for Cylinder 3 and Cylinder 6, Open or short circuit|
|4414||Fuel Injectors for Cylinder 4 and Cylinder 8, Open or short circuit|
|4431||Idle Stabilizer Valve, Open or short circuit|
|4444||No Faults have been recorded.|
|0000||End of ECU Diagnostic Output|
Select your Vehicle or look below for Generic codes.